Steven Getman Attorney
Steven Getman attorney: Highly skilled, results-driven and goal-oriented administrator and attorney with over twenty-one years of successful comprehensive and progressive experience in the private and government sectors.
- Steven Getman County Assigned Counsel, 2008-2011
Steven Getman Seneca County Stop-DWI Coordinator, 2007
Steven Getman Seneca County Attorney, 2002-2007
Steven Getman Social Services Attorney, 1995-2001
Steven Getman Seneca County Public Defender, 1995
Steven Getman Seneca County Law Guardian Panel, 1992-1995
[Attorney advertising/biographical information. For current position and to see my website visit www.stevengetman.com]
Steven Getman Attorney's Background
Steven Getman Attorney's Experience
Attorney at Attorney at law
• Practiced law in the criminal and civil courts of New York State, representing clients in a wide range of legal matters.
• Served as attorney for the Towns of Romulus, Ovid and Lodi, providing representation in all aspects of municipal law, including drafting and enforcement of town laws and ordinances, litigation, zoning/land use and labor/employment issues.
• Acted as outside contract counsel for Tompkins County Department of Social Services.
• Represented and advocated for the best interests of children as a law guardian/attorney for children in Family Court.
• Served as Assistant County Attorney for Schuyler County.
County Attorney at Seneca County
January 2002 - December 2007 | Waterloo, New York
• Served effectively as chief legal advisor to over 400 county employees, including the county manager, county legislature and all other appointed and elected officers.
• Supervised all civil litigation prosecuted or defended by the county; insured that all matters were addressed in a timely manner.
• Appeared before courts, legislative committees and administrative tribunals on behalf of government agencies.
• Conducted investigations; made findings and recommendations to county government.
• Developed and implemented local laws, policies and legislative initiatives.
• Prosecuted violations of local laws and ordinances.
• Coordinated county’s traffic safety and “STOP-DWI” programs.
• Instituted computerized document production and case management processes to improve office efficiency.
• Served as a general information officer and liaison to the press and public on county procedures and policies.
• Provided superior leadership, direction and supervision for staff of county attorney’s office, and oversight in the annual preparation of the department budget.
Social Services Attorney at Seneca County
October 1995 - December 2001 | Waterloo, New York
• Represented county agency in all aspects of litigation, including Family Court and administrative hearings, and prosecuted civil and criminal welfare fraud cases.
• Prosecuted juvenile delinquency cases in Family Court as Presentment Agency attorney.
• Developed alternatives to incarceration programs for juveniles and implemented a wide range of policies related to child custody and parental rights.
• Provided expert advice to the DSS Commissioner and staff on a broad range of legal issues
Public Defender at Seneca County
January 1995 - September 1995 | Waterloo, New York
• Provided counsel to indigent defendants on all phases of criminal litigation in Supreme Court, County Court and local criminal courts and defended parental rights of indigent persons in Family Court.
• Advocated for families and children in need of education, training and guidance.
• Oversaw county's assigned counsel program and supervised staff consisting of assistant public defenders and support staff.
Attorney at Midey & Swinehart
January 1996 - December 2001 | Seneca Falls, New York
• Valued member of a general practice law firm.
• Served as attorney for the Town of Seneca Falls.
• Served as Special District Attorney for both felony and misdemeanor-level criminal cases.
Steven Getman Attorney's Education
Hofstra University: School of Law
Juris Doctorate (J.D.)
Master of Science (M.S.)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Concentration: Agriculture and Life Science
Steven Getman Attorney's Interests & Activities
• Member, Tompkins County Ethics Advisory Board
• Member, Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, Attorneys for Children Appeals Panel
• Member, Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department, Assigned Counsel Panels
• Member, Tompkins County, New York, Attorneys for Children Panel, Assigned Counsel Panel
• Member, Schuyler County Bar Association
• Member, Seneca County Bar Association – Past President
• Member, Tompkins County Bar Association
• Member, New York State Bar Association – Past Member, House of Delegates
• Member, Seneca County Traffic Safety Board (2007)